ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders at Denver Health
ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders at Denver Health is the only specialized medical stabilization program in the U.S. equipped to manage the life-threatening medical complications of severe eating disorders. Due to the fragile and severe nature of their illness, many patients require urgent hospital-to-hospital air ambulance transfers to receive the life-saving care that only ACUTE offers.Angel MedFlight provides the critical care capability to quickly and safely transport these high-risk patients using a fleet of medically configured jets. Angel MedFlight has partnered with ACUTE to establish specific care guidelines, ensuring continuity of care throughout the patient transfer and hospitalization.
Founded in 2008 by Dr. Philip Mehler, the ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders is the first dedicated medical stabilization program in the nation. Located on a dedicated medical unit at Denver Health Medical Center, ACUTE patients benefit from the resources of a major medical hospital while receiving care from a team of healthcare professionals who specialize in providing eating disorder treatment and conducting revolutionary research. ACUTE patients are typically below 70 percent of their ideal body weight and suffer from serious medical complications as a result of their eating disorder. ACUTE's evidence-based program provides patients customized care through highly individualized treatment plans.
ACUTE is led by the country's first internal medicine physicians to earn the Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (CEDS) designation. This dedicated focus has led to positive patient outcomes and short inpatient stays, with the average length of hospitalization between 14 and 21 days.
Angel MedFlight Partners With ACUTE for Safe Patient Transfers
ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders provides clinical expertise and life-saving treatment that is not available anywhere else in the country. However, patients in need of ACUTE's specialized care may be hundreds or thousands of miles from its location in Denver, Colorado. When a patient needs a long distance transfer, the ACUTE team counts on Angel MedFlight.
As the Preferred Air Ambulance Provider for ACUTE, the Angel MedFlight team is committed to delivering compassionate care and exceptional service.
• Angel MedFlight's Flight Coordinators work closely with ACUTE patients, their family members, and healthcare providers for seamless air medical transports
• To expedite flights, Angel MedFlight verifies air ambulance insurance benefits and handles insurance preauthorization submissions
• ACUTE and Angel MedFlight adhere to the same patient care guidelines to ensure continuity of care throughout the air ambulance transfer and hospitalization
• Angel MedFlight's medical team has extensive experience transporting patients suffering from complications of eating disorders
• Angel MedFlight transfers patients to ACUTE from every region in the United States
• The average distance of an air medical transfer to ACUTE is 1,200 miles